Hi,

Timothy Reilly wrote:
I just read: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Versioning Nice
document btw, well thought out.

Thanks ;)

I have a curiosity question...Under: Make version handling pluggable

Is this saying I would have to define version schemas using a
xsd/schema, or is it saying the versionScheme artifact is a java
artifact that implements the required interfaces (like a plugin) and the
default implementation uses xsd/schema?

It's a proposal document, so neither is currently implemented.

The Java artifact approach is the most feasible using the <extensions>
mechanism in the POM, and this will probably be implemented in 2.1.

The XSD or XML approach will most likely be too slow for Maven to use, and
I'm still not sure if it's feasible to create a standard grammar that'll work
for all version schemes. Though having something like that would certainly
make automating version comparison for non-java applications using Maven
metadata
possible.

I think the schema approach addresses my current nit (managing third
party jars with xx.xx.xx.xx versioning scheme), but was interested in
how this will work.

Would this be the OSGi versioning scheme? What are the problems you're
experiencing
atm. using maven's built-in versioning?

There's still some work to be done here. The solutions specified there are
not implemented yet, and won't be until 2.1.
-- Kenney