On 23 Jul 07, at 5:50 AM 23 Jul 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

This is excellent stuff Vincent!

I'm only missing one thing, that have been puzzling me since I got involved with Doxia:

  What is a Sink?

Parser -> emission of Doxia events -> Sink

A Sink consumes Doxia events in a resultant output format like Docbook, PDF, or XHTML.

The upshot is that you can parse any front-end format, the parser is responsible for emitting the standard Doxia events which can then be consumed by any Doxia Sink. This is what allow us to parse the front- end format like APT, FML, and Xdoc for the Maven site plugin and have them all contribute to the final XHTML version of a site. All documents being parsed results in a stream of Doxia events (paragraph, bold, italic, text) which are then fed in the XHTML sink which results in a set of XHTML pages.

A sink if ultimately responsible for the final format and structure. So, for example, you can take a series of APT documents and have that be fed into a Sink which makes a single PDF, a book, a site, or a Word document. The Sink is fully responsible for the final output. Once you have Doxia events you can leverage any existing Sink. So if you wanted to integrate your custom XML format, or custom Wiki format, you would create a Doxia parser which could then be fed into any Sink to produce your desired final output.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven