Hi,

I added a sleep to the test and quickly copied /tmp/surefire*tmp
to examine them.

The following 2 entries in the surefire tmp file are the cause:

surefire45886tmp:classPathUrl.30=/home/forge/.m2/repository/org/codehaus/plexus/plexus-component-api/1.0-alpha-20/plexus-component-api-1.0-alpha-20.jar
surefire45886tmp:classPathUrl.24=/home/forge/.m2/repository/org/codehaus/plexus/plexus-container-default/1.0-alpha-30/plexus-container-default-1.0-alpha-30.jar

The dependency on plexus-velocity 1.1.5 brings in the dep on p-c-a 1.0-alpha-20
which isn't filtered out by maven 2.0.7, since that uses p-c-d
1.0-alpha-9-stable-1
which is from the era where plexus-component-api didn't exist.

If maven were to use a newer version of plexus with the 2 separate jars,
this problem would go away.

If maven were to use the latest version of plexus with the shaded jar,
then the proper solution in the shading/merging is NOT to just remove
dependencies that
are merged, but still list them but with scope provided so they are filtered
out.

In any case, maven 2.0.7 will not work when projects have dependencies on the
2-jar
version of the container, unless the p-c-a is filtered out everywhere, or all
p-c-d poms with shading have p-c-a listed as provided (so that 2 jars
will/might be used
in compilation since provided is only filtered out transitively, but at least
the p-c-a
and p-c-d versions will match).

So whether the test succeed depends on forkmode, even with 2.3. I really can't
get it
to work with 2.3 or 2.3.1 at all unless I set forkMode to never - to me, they
behave
exactly the same. It may depend on what snapshots you have in your local repo
though.

If someone has a working test with surefire 2.3 and forkmode=once
I'd like to get a hold of those surefire*tmp files to see exactly which jars
are used.
-- Kenney