From: Wayne Fay [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2007 9:50 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Re: Classpath ordering of dependencies

It also sounds like perhaps you need an excludes in your dependency
declaration, to get rid of that "bad" transitive dep.

Wayne

On 7 Sep 07, at 2:20 PM 7 Sep 07, Paul Gier wrote:

I did a little more research, and it looks like the artifact was
renamed, so maven didn't know they were the same artifact.  For an
example, if you create a project with a direct dependency on
antlr:antlr:3.0b5 and have a transitive dependency on antlr:antlr:
2.7.1, you will get the 2.7.1 version in the classpath first
because 3.0b5 has been renamed to groupId "org.antlr"

When the groupId and artifactId are the same, then maven does the
right thing and removed the transitive dependency.