> From: Jason van Zyl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > Yes, I know we discussed it briefly at the time, but I
> > wanted to look at the actual implications for 2.0.x users now.

> There are none, they aren't using it. And it's only
> implication is in conjunction with the release plugin and the
> release plugin should not be tied to any information in the
> super POM. That's just wrong.

> If anyone expects the same
> behavior that then can put that chunk of the POM in theirs.
> As of right now there are zero people affected and the
> release plugins is pretty much useless to anyone who is not
> using subversion. It's useless for Clearcase users and
> useless for Perforce users which is a large part of the
> enterprise environment so overall the clean up is the right
> thing to do as it simply should not be in the Super POM and I
> really doubt anyone can rely on it for production use. It's
> just too flaky.

Jason, I agree that the release-plugin shouldn't be tied to any
information in the super POM.

But I think you'll find that there are *lots* of teams using the release
plugin in production environments. Its not perfect, the inability to
bind Mojos to its life-cycles is almost crippling, but it's the only
thing that remotely guarantees a consistent release process.

So if this involves a large behaviour change for existing 2.0.x users
then there's going to need to be a suitable warning with an easy to
implement mitigation strategy.

William