On 22 Dec 07, at 9:55 AM 22 Dec 07, Ralph Goers wrote:

If I can get some time I might look at it as well. This wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if it can tell you all of the errors after preparing the projects.

There are probably things we can know before project collection, like listening to the POM building process and picking off problems, and things we can only determine once the whole build plan is made.

You'll definitely want to look at the painstaking work John did with the error reporting to try and capture every last possible error that can occur and report it. The process of building up the projects, by reading the metadata only, creating the build plan, gather the resources for the build plan (i.e. the actual artifact resolution), and then executing the build plan.

Milos Kleint wrote:
The build doesn't fail fast now in some cases. It will prepare all the 20 project's lifecycles, perform dependency resolution of all the 20 projects and then the first one compiler plugin invocation fails in compilation.

the only complexity reduction was trimming down 80+ invocations of project
dependency resolution to 20 (thus once per project)

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

-- Paul Graham