Hi All,

John Casey wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to make sure we're all on the same page with the plugin
> auto-version resolution stuff that we've been discussing lately (on the
> assembly-plugin vote thread, for one thing). I think it's clear that we
> cannot continue to allow Maven to resolve RELEASE or LATEST meta-versions
> for plugins any more. I'd actually argue that this is bad practice for ANY
> artifact that is to be resolved, including site skins, etc. since it kills
> our ability to deprecate features.

I've read through this complete thread and not seen any proposed solution
that I like.

How about providing a way to
(a) dump the current dependencies to an external file, and
(b) for any build, optionally specify an external "dependency versions" file
to use when resolving dependencies.

So, the POM still defines "logical" dependencies, eg "version 2.1 or
greater".

However when a release is about to be made, the release manager:

(1) runs a goal to generate the explicit dependencies file". This file
contains a list of all the
dependencies, and the EXACT version that is currently resolved, eg not "2.1
or greater", but "2.2-beta-1" for example.

(2) checks this explicit dependencies file in to the VCS

(3) builds the release candidate using the explicit dependencies file. Maven
dependency resolution then *always* uses the dependencies in the input file,
rather than its usual "best fit" algorithm.

This seems to allow the POM to still remain abstract about dependencies (not
being locked down to a particular version) while allowing repeatable builds.
Building without using the checked-in dependencies file does normal
dependency resolution. However people can also choose to invoke maven with
the checked-in explicit-dependencies file to create a repeatable build.

The separate dependencies file seems useful as documentation in its own
right, rather like the "dependencies report" that can be generated for
websites.

Regards,

Simon