-1

We cannot change the modelVersion without a fairly major refactor of one of the most complex classes in Maven - DefaultMavenProjectBuilder. So to make this declaration, we're basically pinning users to these plugin versions until sometime after 2.1 most likely (I haven't even started on the project-builder refactor...I don't know about others).

If users are not specifying plugin versions, then they are implicitly saying they're okay with some drift WRT plugin versions in their builds. Specifying plugin versions in the super-POM merely slows that velocity down to a manageable speed (an actual drift, I guess, not a headlong rush). If they want their plugin versions pinned, they can (and should, by all means) manage that themselves...but I think it's a bad idea to freeze all plugin progress by default until sometime post-2.1.

-john