Nicolas De Loof wrote:

I don't think we have plan yet to release maven 2.1, so I think it would
be a valid to require java 1.5 as minimal runtime.

+1 for Maven 2.1, -1 for Maven 2.0.10 (doesn't feel right to bump minimum requirements in a maintenance branch).

Once we have the toolchains fully in place and allow easy cross-compiling
independently of the JDK running Maven, there seems to be no reason why the
build tool shouldn't be run with a higher Java than the minimum JRE for the
project under build.

- generics can make the maven model more comprehensible.

In particular, strongly typed collections will not only help developers to
understand the intended contents but enables the compiler to actually
enforce it.

Benjamin