There are actually plenty of conflict resolution strategy.  Every
users may preffer its own style based on the characteristics of its
project, depending on what level of control he want to have versus the
effort he want to give, depending of the size of its project,
depending on the typical release cycle used in its organisation, etc.

Some people consider a conflict is not acceptable, and should broke
the build.  Other want some very clear warning that can be manually
checked when conflict is detected and resolved, others doesn't care
and just rely on the test to check everything is ok.

In Ivy, we are giving the possibility to plug different conflict
managers [1].  In ivy, that fit with the overall philosiphy that we
want to give the maximum flexibility to the user.

[1]
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/configuration/conflict-managers.html

Gilles Scokart