I have put together a visual of the system, some information on using m2eclipse to debug the entire platform, and the use of Hudson for testing the resulting system.

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Developing+Maven+2.1

The guide included there (put together by Igor) should allow anyone to debug the entire toolchain (Plexus, XBR, Classworlds, Maven ...) from within Eclipse which will make developing and debugging easier. You can actually execute Maven plugins from within the workspace (i.e you don't have to install it) using m2e.

I will start collapsing all the cruft that's built up around 2.1 and flesh out that landing page as I start automating more in Hudson, and building out the Hudson nodes that will support other standard platforms.

If you want to surf around Hudson you can look at it here:

http://ci.sonatype.org/

There are groups there for Maven 2.1, Plexus, Maven IDE (really embedder consumers), and I will also limit the plugins to the default lifecycles of the commonly used packagings like JAR, and WAR. John has also started creating automated ways to release to stage, and subsequent promotion upon success. So for any component in the tool chain there will be a way to do a consistent release from a canonical machine.

I am also working with the Apache Infrastructure team to integrate the Contegix folks who are the ones who currently host all the hardware we're using. Maven's central repository, our Hudson instance, and our Nexus instance. So, in short order, the Contegix hardware will be official Apache hardware.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven