There's also this from John:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Conflict+Resolution

It'd also be worth reviewing the "requirements" for 2.0.x to see if anything carries over:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution

How does Mercury handle the question of scope? Is that contained within the MetadataProcessor and so delegated to maven-project?

Thanks,
Brett