I've always found it to be a hassle to test plugins that don't need to be wired up in POM files, e.g. the archetype, dependency, scm plugins. I find that to test them I have to create a dummy POM file with a <pluginRepositories> section, as described in our guide to testing staged releases.

http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

I thought it would be cool to have a downloader plugin that let you do this:

  mvn downloader:get
    -Dartifact=org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-scm-plugin:1.1
    -DrepoUrl=http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-repo

That would retrieve the plugin into your local repository, so you could immediately start using it.

  mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-scm-plugin:1.1:checkin -Dmessage=foo

I've created a prototype downloader plugin and checked it into the sandbox; I used it to test the Maven SCM 1.1 release. It was pretty nice.

Does this seem like something worth releasing and documenting as part of our release testing guide?

-Dan