I've had a look at that code, and I think it is doing something other than
what is required here!

As I see it, the display-plugin-updates goal should tell you of an update
that is relevant to the *current pom only*.

So if my parent pom specifies a version... then even if there is a newer
version available, we don't display that as a valid update.

If my pom specifies a version or specifies a version in pluginManagement,
then we should display the updates that are available for my pom.

as this goal is not an aggregating goal, I'll be told which plugins can be
updated when we run through the reactor and hit the parent pom.

The idea is to display the versions that can be updated in the current pom
only.

The enforcer rule is enforcing that somebody specifies a version.  what
display plugin updates needs to do is display updates if I specify the
version and leave the parent's maintainer to run the goal if they need to do
the update.

But yes, there should be some code sharing possible....