Brian E. Fox wrote:
Until I see a definitive list of the Milestones for 2.1, I vote for #2.
I am mostly afraid of going down the rat hole that was the old 2.1 with
forever changing scope. I don't see any problem with calling this 2.1
and putting in the other features into 2.2, what's the problem?

My vote is for #2, as IMO the advantages outweigh the disadvantages pointed out by John.

As Brett stressed, anything that has new features should warrant a new 2.x release and bugfixes should go in 2.x.y.

Cheers