On 15/12/2008, at 2:41 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Brian E. Fox <bri...@reply.infinity.nu > wrote:
The grid is only deploying to the snapshot repo hosted on nexus at
repository.sonatype.org. It's not possible with the current security
setup for us to deploy to p.a.o. Nor is it really desired because
there's no automated cleanup there. Nexus is handling that for us. I
wish there was a better way, but unless we put Nexus on p.a.o for these
things, it will have to be a manual snapshot deploy.

I can point to repository.sonatype.org. But what's the correct url for
setings.xml?

Automated deployments of snapshots would be a big plus for p.a.o.

There seems to be a gap here with no/broken CI on p.a.o which would
definitely make it easier for someone like me who doesn't have a fixed
area that I work in. It would save getting broken builds from missing
dependencies and then having to check out the failing dependency and
repeating until the build works.

Is there someone taking ownership of getting a working CI on p.a.o?

It's a bit more than that, since two of the snapshots are from codehaus and wouldn't be deployed there anyway. A better thing to do is not depend on snapshots for so long :)

However, for the ones internal to the project, there is no reason we can't get this done.

Infra agreed over a year ago that it is possible for p.a.o to pull artifacts from some other designated source. Gav from infra was recently working on setting up an rsync server on vmbuild for this purpose in other projects, where we have an Archiva instance managing the snapshot pruning. Effort on this stalled from time to time since there were plans to introduce a cluster of CI machines at Apache (which is gathering steam again at the moment, but I imagine will take a while).

I believe there would be issues with automatically syncing in binaries that were built outside ASF hardware, but have never asked. If it's an issue, we could also use the Hudson zone, or the Continuum instance just for this purpose while continuing to have the grid monitor the build state if that's the case.

The repo manager part is optional since Joe does have scripts to clean up snapshots now on the p.a.o side if needed.

I've definitely been slack on this... because Maven is really the project I need it most for, and setting it up in that way has been contentious to say the least. I'm more than happy to set it up on vmbuild (even just for a subset of shared components) if there's already some agreement that should be done, but don't think it's worth causing any further arguments over.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter