Two things I definitely want to highlight here:

1. This is not my process. I'm obviously interested in getting Maven releases out the door, and having them be of the highest quality we can achieve. This means there is no way I can be the gatekeeper on every release; I simply don't have that kind of time, particularly since there are plugins that need attention and like others, I have other responsibilities at a day job that don't always leave me time to head up these efforts. I appreciate the sentiment, of course, but this has to be a group effort with everyone dedicated to timely, stable releases.

2. To me, the goal of high quality releases starts and ends with test coverage. We are all capable of putting together very deliberate, targeted tests for the things we're working on, if we take the time to do it. What I'm getting at is it's not enough to apply a patch or fix a bug; the developer that introduces this sort of code also has a responsibility to contribute tests for the new code and any old code that it modifies. The idea is to prevent regressions, and validate our assertions, so we don't all look like horses' asses by saying something works when it doesn't...which is a sensation I think we've all felt in the past.

Whatever else we include in a particular Maven release, we should make it top priority to keep making net progress in terms of functional test coverage (not just the graphs produced by cobertura or emma). I think we hit a milestone with 2.1.0-M1 in terms of this, but we really need to continue improvement here. Benjamin's work in this department IMO is some of the most important work being done in Maven anywhere, and I applaud him for it.

This is how I think about new code changes: If it doesn't have a test, it shouldn't be included in a release. If the code it changes doesn't have tests, then it still shouldn't be included in a release.

My two cents...

-john