Actually, I'm trying to catch the following situation:

https://svn.codehaus.org/mojo/trunk/mojo/versions-maven-plugin/src/it/it-103

Another situation I'm trying to catch is in it-104, which is briefly this:

<project>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

  <groupId>localhost</groupId>
  <artifactId>it-104</artifactId>
  <version>1.0</version>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>

  <build>
    <pluginManagement>
      <plugins>
        <plugin>
          <artifactId>maven-clean-plugin</artifactId>
        </plugin>
      </plugins>
    </pluginManagement>
  </build>

</project>

If I run with Maven 2.0.9, as I currently have the code defined, I see
the version from the super-pom, or rather I don't see that the version
is inherited from the super pom... but now that I think about it, as
the version is not defined, versions-maven-plugin should not tell me
about new versions anyway!.... Now why did I think I have a bug!

-Stephen