When I tried to build the archetype project itself using JDK 1.4, I found that the unit tests wouldn't run. I got the same missing method error about StringBuffer.append(..). When I investigated, I found that the problem seems to be coming from cargo's jetty test container, which seems to require JDK 1.5 in order to run.

This isn't a problem with maven; it's a problem with the archetype project. And, it's happening with Maven 2.0.10 as well.

John Casey wrote:
Okay, looks like that problem no longer exists...but I can't get it to fail at all now.

When you talk about archetype/pom.xml, what do you mean? Are you talking about building the archetype project itself?

John Casey wrote:
I've actually had a problem using the archetype plugin with JDK < 1.5 for a couple months now. Are we sure this isn't a problem in 2.0.10 as well?

Brett Porter wrote:
Seems like this would fail on earlier versions as well?