I agree, if we call it 2.2 because it moves to jdk 1.5 and we fix the other stuff, great. But lets keep the scope very small and limited so we can get the regressions in 2.1.0 out quickly. I'm afraid that relabeling it 2.2 would mean a pile on the bandwagon effect occurs and we'd be stuck churning for a while.

Benjamin Bentmann wrote:
John Casey wrote:

1. leave MNG-4140 unfixed

I admire your efforts on the core and my intention was surely not to hinder the progress you or anybody else makes, only to properly label it.

2. drag in something like jdom +jaxen +saxpath to do xpath search/replacement for MNG-4140 3. attempt to approximate xpath for MNG-4140 using buffered-reader and string matching or something...

Ugh ;-)

Otherwise, we're talking about releasing 2.2, which has much larger ramifications in terms of the feature set the user will/should expect.

Personally, I see no problems with a minor update that provides only one or two bigger changes, like say MNG-4098 and MNG-4112. MNG-3043 and MNG-1995 should also be ready features for 2.2 but too risky/heavy for 2.1.1. Your introduction of generics could also be a nice feature that plugin developers would like to see rather sooner than later I guess.

Version names are mostly about the expections they drive in users, right?. In the spirit of better safe than sorry, I merely imagine that failing to meet these expections is less harmful for a minor update that does not have a long release history than for a point release that has this one issue that screws up your build.

So I'm +1 to just go ahead and release 2.2 straight after 2.1. IMHO we have enough cool things hanging around to warrant that.

Benjamin