On 4/24/09, Jason van Zyl <jvan...@sonatype.com> wrote:

> On 24-Apr-09, at 7:55 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Jason van Zyl
>> <jvan...@sonatype.com> wrote:

>>> Already solved more then adequately with Gerrit. The Google Android
>>> team
>>> uses GIT with a canonical repository and all contributions are
>>> managed
>>> through Gerrit. JGIT and Gerrit are pure Java and so adding to the
>>> already
>>> sophisticated peer review system would be easy. Right now review and
>>> approval is a few clicks. I'm sure Shawn Pearce would help us
>>> create an
>>> awesome mechanism for governance but I imagine most of this is there
>>> already. The public GIT repository for Android can accept patches
>>> from
>>> external contributors and I imagine Google has the legal work
>>> sorted out.
>>
>> ok
>>
>> so AIUI a central repository would so be used with patches accepted
>> from the community by committers. this sort of push mechanism (with
>> contributors submitting patches) would work fine with the apache
>> licensing arrangement provided that the canonical repository was
>> hosted by apache.
>>
>> is that about right?
>>

> Correct. The model that Android uses I would say is optimal for an
> open source project. People can take real copies and derive all the
> benefit from that, but they push to a gatekeeper where submissions are
> vetted. Gerrit represents some pretty cool innovation insofar as
> collaboration goes.

So far so good

Gatekeepers pushing from local repositries would need to ensure that
everything pushed to center was either their own original work or
credited/audited as per the iCLA.

Contributors - in general - would need to take more care to ensure
that code was only pulled in from sources covered by a license
agreement (the ASL2.0 grant only covers active contributions).
(Reciprocal licenses don't have this problem.) May need some
lightweight process here - be interesting to see how Google approaches
this.

Robert