Symlinks are needed by some frameworks we use and that need some shared
directories between several webapp.
/home was just a sample, in our case we have symlink to a share /DATA
repository.

When you run mvn clean and that you loose all your /DATA (many gigabytes of
data), I can say you that you feel strange !!!

I don't say that symlinks are a good practice, we try to avoid them if
possible. This is not always possible when your work in real world
applications with some constraints (frameworks, infra).