> OK. So you would NOT mind if maven adds some new features that
> are compatible to older versions of maven.
> Thats all I am fighting for.

No fighting required, just make a patch. If it's truly backwards compatible,
then there wouldn't be much reason for it to be declined.

I'm interested in the use cases because during training I run into this a
lot. Generally if you can move your process to one that works with Maven
then it's not an issue. If you can't, well then it is. I've got ideas for
how to make the release process better, but not enough time to tackle it
now. Just updating the tools to support ASF policy is keeping me busy
enough.