I've already removed it from the default lifecycle mapping in 3.x.

On 21-May-09, at 2:52 PM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

Hi,

Remove invocation of maven-plugin-plugin:updatePluginRegistry from default lifecycle bindings
                Key: MNG-4169
The plugin registry will be removed from 3.x (plugin versions should be locked down in the POM for machine-independent builds). A user visible consequence of this is that the goal {{maven-plugin- plugin:updatePluginRegistry}} will no longer be called automatically for projects with packaging {{maven-plugin}}.

I would like to see how others think about properly phasing out the plugin registry. For instance, how soon should be remove the corresponding goal from the maven-plugin-plugin? Possibly as a prerequiste (I haven't checked what Maven does in case a lifecycle- induced goal is not found), how soon should we remove the lifecycle mapping from 2.x (if at all)?.

A concrete idea could be to take the opportunity of the pending minor update Maven 2.2 and remove the lifecycle mapping right now.

What do you think?

Benjamin

Jason

Jason van Zyl