I thought it was working great but...

what could cause this?

[INFO] Building Genesis
[INFO]    task-segment: [clean, install]
[INFO] [clean:clean]
[INFO] Deleting file set: /Users/david/geronimo/svn/geronimo/genesis/ trunk/target (included: [**], excluded: [])
[INFO] [assembly:single {execution: default}]
[INFO] Building tar : /Users/david/geronimo/svn/geronimo/genesis/trunk/ target/genesis-2.0-SNAPSHOT-source-release.tar.gz [INFO] Building zip: /Users/david/geronimo/svn/geronimo/genesis/trunk/ target/genesis-2.0-SNAPSHOT-source-release.zip [INFO] Setting property: classpath.resource.loader.class => 'org.codehaus.plexus.velocity.ContextClassLoaderResourceLoader'.
[INFO] Setting property: velocimacro.messages.on => 'false'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.loader => 'classpath'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.manager.logwhenfound => 'false'.
[INFO] [remote-resources:process {execution: default}]
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor]
[INFO] Unable to load parent project from a relative path: Could not find the model file '/Users/david/geronimo/svn/geronimo/genesis/ pom.xml'. for project unknown
[INFO] Parent project loaded from repository.
[INFO] Preparing source:jar
[WARNING] Removing: jar from forked lifecycle, to prevent recursive invocation.
[INFO] [assembly:single {execution: default}]
[INFO] Building tar : /Users/david/geronimo/svn/geronimo/genesis/trunk/ target/genesis-2.0-SNAPSHOT-source-release.tar.gz [INFO] Building zip: /Users/david/geronimo/svn/geronimo/genesis/trunk/ target/genesis-2.0-SNAPSHOT-source-release.zip
[INFO] [source:jar {execution: attach-sources}]
[INFO] [javadoc:jar {execution: attach-javadocs}]
[INFO] Not executing Javadoc as the project is not a Java classpath- capable package
[INFO] [gpg:sign {execution: default}]
Reading passphrase from file descriptor 0

It seems to be building the source archives twice. I guess there the same both times so all that is lost is some time so maybe its not a big problem.... but with a big project its some time.

This particular example is https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/genesis/trunk rev 780259 with maven 2.0.10

I only see this with multi-module projects: single module projects only build the source-archive once.

I'm running

mvn clean install -Papache-release

the apache 6 pom is the parent

assembly plugin is configured in pluginManagement:

                <plugin>
                    <version>2.2-beta-4</version>
                    <configuration>
                        <tarLongFileMode>gnu</tarLongFileMode>
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>
and run in apache-release profile:

                    <plugin>
                        <executions>
                            <execution>
                                <goals>
                                    <goal>single</goal>
                                </goals>
                                <phase>validate</phase>
                                <configuration>
<runOnlyAtExecutionRoot>true</ runOnlyAtExecutionRoot>
                                    <descriptorRefs>
                                        <descriptorRef>
                                            source-release
                                        </descriptorRef>
                                    </descriptorRefs>
                                </configuration>
                            </execution>
                        </executions>
                        <dependencies>
                            <dependency>
                                <groupId>org.apache</groupId>
<artifactId>apache-source-release- assembly-descriptor</artifactId>
                                <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
                            </dependency>
                        </dependencies>
                    </plugin>

Assuming it's not a configuration problem, at this point I'd rather have a release than wait more days to fix this.... but if its an easy fix it would be great to only assemble once.

thanks
david jencks