Your best bet is to use the nexus-indexer api jar to access the data. This
will keep you from having to deal with the contents, which in the old .zip
are a lucene format but in the new .gz & incrementals is a special binary
format.
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/05/nexus-indexer-20-incremental-downloading/
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/sonatype/nexus/nexus-indexer/2.0.0/