On Jun 3, 2009, at 3:55 PM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

To be conform with ASF requirements, I understand that we have to wait the new assembly plugin to be able to produce the new sources distro. There are
already 3 or 4 attempts to vote the release and it's not yet ended.
I think also that others ASF projects using Maven won't wait for this fix if
they want to release something.

The purpose of assembly 2.2-beta-4 is to make it difficult to avoid complying with apache policy. Right now it's not all that hard but you have to do something apart from the release plugin. I haven't tried this with say beta 2, but think it will work included in the project root pom and run with mvn -Psource-distro -N deploy on a fresh svn export, say after running release:perform.

        <profile>
            <id>source-distro</id>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                    <plugin>
                        <version>2.2-beta-2</version>
                        <executions>
                            <execution>
                                <goals>
                                    <goal>single</goal>
                                </goals>
                                <phase>package</phase>
                                <configuration>
                                    <descriptors>
<descriptor>src/assemble/ source-release.xml</descriptor>
                                    </descriptors>
                                </configuration>
                            </execution>
                        </executions>
                    </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>
        </profile>

src/assemble/source-release.xml contains:

<assembly>
  <id>source-release</id>
  <formats>
    <format>tar.gz</format>
    <format>zip</format>
  </formats>
  <fileSets>
    <fileSet>
      <directory>${project.basedir}</directory>
      <useDefaultExcludes>true</useDefaultExcludes>
      <excludes>
        <exclude>**/${project.build.directory}/**</exclude>
      </excludes>
    </fileSet>
  </fileSets>
</assembly>

from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/resources/trunk/apache-source-release-assembly-descriptor/src/main/resources/assemblies/source-release.xml

david jencks

I have no problem, myself, to wait the release of the plugin some more days (I maintain it but I don't use it for myself ;-) ). But I don't think it's a good thing for our users. If Barry can do it today, it's possible that he
can't in few days/weeks.

Cheers,

Arnaud

# Arnaud Héritier