On Jun 4, 2009, at 4:19 PM, John Casey wrote:

Hi everyone,

If you recall, not too long ago I posted a link to the Maven wiki outlining my plan to revamp the version-expression transformation for pom.xml files, which was added to Maven in 2.1.0.

After spending quite a bit of time on this issue - more than I'm comfortable admitting, I guess - I don't think there's any good way to implement around all the potential pitfalls. In short, I think it's inevitable that, given the current legacy of Maven 2.x, putting this feature in place (or, rather, leaving it in place) will cause one or more plugins to fail.

It's possible that we might be able to launch a concerted effort at migrating the affected plugins around the same time we do the Maven 2.2.0 release, but after talking this over with Brian some more, I'm no longer convinced that we should force these expressions to be resolved in all cases.

Please read my notes on the issue here:

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Artifact-Coordinate+Expression+Transformation

...and let's talk about this. I think we need to spend some time as a community talking about how to work around this problem, and whether it's even feasible to fix this before Maven 3.

It's my opinion that we should revert the version-expression transformation code added to 2.1.0, and leave the problem as it was in 2.0.x until we can design a more comprehensive solution.

I apologize that I haven't actually looked at what you did in 2.1.0 to fix this. However, I don't believe any of the issues listed in the wiki page would have occurred using the method I used on the maven-2.1.x-MNG-624 branch. Of course, I never solved the issue regarding how to determine the "real" target directory.

Having said that, part of the reason I haven't been gung-ho in getting these issues fixed is the expectation that Maven 3 is taking care of them. If that is confirmed and MNG-624, 4167, et. al can be closed in 3.0 then I don't see much reason to spend a lot of effort on this.

Ralph