Hi Brian,

>> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Joerg Hohwiller<jo...@j-hohwiller.de> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I read the documentation of javadoc-plugin about goal aggregate.
>> Then I called
>> mvn javadoc:aggregate and maven failed saying that the goal aggregate does
>> not
>> exist.
>>
>> mvn -U javadoc:aggregate, same result.
>>
>> Website wrong?
>>
>> Aha... think...
>>
>> mvn javadoc:2.5:aggregate, error
>> mvn maven-javadoc-plugin:2.5:aggregate, error
>> mvn org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin:2.5:aggregate, works!
>>
>> Do not get me wrong. I really love the idea of having fixed plugin
>> versions in super-pom.
>>
>> However my example shows the possible confusion and a quite greedy syntax.
>> Besides my pom.xml has <version> to 2.5 for javadoc-plugin but NOT in
>> <pluginManagement>. I should change my pom.xml though...
>>

> Your version in the pom will override the version in pluginManagement.

Thanks for your response, but I am not quite
sure that you got what I wanted to say.

The version in pom only applies to commandline
if it is set in pluginManagement.
If I do not set it there the commandline
needs a very greedy syntax to specify the
version where I used to just call
mvn -U javadoc:aggregate
for using the latest version of javadoc-plugin.
It is still downloaded but not used.
Therefore I think that
the <pluginManagement> in Super-Pom caused some
trouble and confusion that you might not be aware of.

>> Regards
>>  Jörg

Regards
  Jörg