On 25-Aug-09, at 1:27 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

Arnaud HERITIER-3 wrote:

What do you think about this post and comments :
http://relation.to/12116.laceOne thing that it seems to annoy them is how
our reactor is working.
We cannot call a build from a submodule which will automa(g)ically call
necessary builds in others modules.

Honestly, I never understood why Maven is building modules top down (parents first, then childs) as opposed to the other way. Makefiles, or Ant scripts, are typically working the other way round and that seems much simpler, from
my experience.

Maven doesn't internally work top down. It works with a graph and initially determining the root of the graph was certain when starting from the top. The reactor plugin goes another step, Maven 3.x has this behavior built in, and with a deterministic way of knowing the root (even if you have more projects linked in with relativePath) then fully utilizing the graph will be reasonably straight forward.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl