On 2009-10-02, at 6:35 AM, Paul Gier wrote:

Brian Fox wrote:
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com> wrote:
Why would everyone need to use both repos? If the legacy repository is done correctly, the vast majority of users would never need to hit it, or even
know about it at all.

Note that this idea is different than creating a new clean repository. This would be a new repository just for the garbage. Most artifacts would stay
where they are.

Just as an example, in the jboss repo I found someone had mixed up the main jar with the javadoc jar. So Maven was trying to use the javadocs on the classpath. Stuff like this is unusable, and should be removed from the
repository IMO.

Something like that likely would, but we don't control the jboss repo.

I removed that one from the JBoss repo already. I was just using it as an example. My point is that there is stuff in central that isn't being used and could safely be moved to a legacy repository as part of the cleanup effort.

I agree with Brian's other comment though that the most improvement will probably be gained from preventing new bad stuff going in.

That is simply the only way it will work without wreaking havoc.

Jason