I really think it should not be allowed, since it makes the builds less predictable/reproduceable/secure. Most people I've talked to think it's a bug when they first see it happening because they are trying to figure out why Maven is downloading files from a random location on the Internet.

The people who have a corporate policy to only download from central are already breaking their policy whether they list the alternate repo in settings.xml or it is added from a dependency.

With that said, I'm ok with having it configurable as Jesse suggests as long as the default behaviour is to not add the repositories to the build.

Jesse McConnell wrote:
judging from the response I have gotten from people both wanting and
not wanting repositories declared for various integrations with jetty,
the problem folks seem to be ones where their corporate policy dictate
they can not use any repo other then central but they do not have a
repo manager setup.

since we can't rightly force people to install and maintain repository
managers, at first blush I would probably error on the side of a
option in the settings.xml a la offline

<transitiveRepositories>true/false</transtiveRepositories>

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconn...@gmail.com