On 2009-11-27, at 7:45 AM, Milos Kleint wrote:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

On 2009-11-27, at 5:55 AM, Milos Kleint wrote:

I agree with Robert here.
removal of profiles.xml file leaves maven with no non-sharable,
per-project
configuration option. I"ve added my example to
the issue http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4060.
It would be doable with settings.xml but it would be uber- cumbersome to do
so.

Why?

I think an activator for a gav would work nicely.

if there is such a thing, yes, it would help. But then after each release,
you have to tinker with the activators.

Then just G:A would do the trick.

It could partly work, but only when you work on one set of projects
only, or keep on switching the settings file and have a separate copy for
each project (or set of projects).

The profiles.xml made the internals extremely convoluted and hard to test. Most of the use cases I've seen are resolved by settings.xml and that can be made to be more intelligent to actually scope the profile in settings.xml to a specific project would effectively be the same thing, or the project
needed to be decomposed into smaller projects.

I'm fine with profiles.xml but you'll need to do the work to integrate that back into the project builder and build up the integration tests. I'm not interested in this work as I honestly don't think it's necessary. There are tests enough there to catch anything so you can do the work and know if you've disturbed any other part of the system so you should be good to go if
you want to add this support back in.

Which just translates to "no". fair enough.

Not at all. It means I'm not interested in that feature. So yes that might translate into it's unlikely Benjamin, myself or Igor aren't going to work on it but there's nothing stopping you from adding the support. As long as all the ITs pass and the performance doesn't degrade have at it.

Milos

Milos

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Robert Scholte <rfscho...@codehaus.org