On 13/01/2010, at 7:53 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> The site stuff needs to be completely decoupled from releases. It such a
>> horrible coupling and causes nothing but problems. Release and the
>> documentation that goes along with it are completely separate.
>
> That might be so, but the site descriptor is needed for (site)
> inheritance reasons and therefor needs to be deployed to the repo.

Yep, that's right.

It's not actually coupled to the release, it is coupled to the POM lifecycle. I
agree with Jason that that isn't the best, so probably in 3.0 that goal needs
to be added to your POM by hand when you have a site descriptor to deploy (or
the site plugin might change how it does things in some other way).

I don't agree with the statement "release and the documentation that goes along
with it are completely separate", as I find that a useful way to work in
general, and it is fundamental to publishing things like Javadoc and JXR,
however it isn't really relevant to this problem as you've said.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
br...@apache.org