Would such a dedicated plugin only apply annotation processing or replace
compiler plugin ? This may implies duplicate configuration for compiler +
annotation-processing plugins. Also consider slower build process as javac
will need to parse source code 2 times.

(late) +1 for annotations support in maven-compiler-plugin
Nicolas