"This is actually happening because of a snapshot version metadata
change that went out with maven 3 beta 3, so if folks used that to
deploy, the metadata will be unreadable by nexus versions 1.7.2 and
earlier.

However, we do have a patch that can be applied.  Just drop the
following jar in your (basedir)/runtime/apps/nexus/lib directory  and
remove the existing mercury-md-shared-1.0-alpha-6.jar file (of course
requires nexus restart once done)

https://repository.sonatype.org/content/groups/forge/org/apache/maven/mercury/mercury-md-shared/1.0-alpha-6-SONATYPE/mercury-md-shared-1.0-alpha-6-SONATYPE.jar

This patch is able to be applied to nexus versions from 1.3.6 through
1.7.2, of course this will be non-issue come the 1.8.0 release"