If a plugin is marked as thread safe, it is stated on the goal detail page.
See [1] for an example.
I believe it's the plugin-plugin that creating this info and possible some
plugin sites created with an old version of plugin-plugin doesn't contain
this info even though a goal is marked as thread safe.

/Anders

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/compile-mojo.html