Maven 3 currently treats unrecognised version qualifiers as newer
releases than the GA release.  For example:

1.0 is older than 1.0-xyz

It also looks like this was reversed at some point, since there is a
test case commented out on line 117 that expects the opposite behaviour
[1].  So is the current behaviour correct?  Or does the commented test
case mean that this ordering will be reversed at some point in the future?

My personal preference is that we replace the commented test case with
one testing for the reverse order, so that we prevent this from changing
in the future.  So all unrecognised qualifiers are treated as patch
releases, and considered newer than the GA release.

Thanks!

[1]http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/maven-3/trunk/maven-artifact/src/test/java/org/apache/maven/artifact/versioning/DefaultArtifactVersionTest.java?annotate=1084807