Allowing people to have custom scopes is a thin end of the wedge...

The scopes we have are not sufficient, so I am +1 to expanding them

Custom scopes are a recipe for disaster... the whole point of
standardization is that everyone knows what they mean.

Currently we have:

compile - which we have borked to be transitive but shouldn't be
runtime - fair enough
provided - which is closer to what compile should have been
test - not good enough for the multitude of testing phases
system - Eeek! don't use
import - nobody has a clue what exactly this does

Critically missing from my PoV are:

provides - needs a better name, but I want to signify that I provide a
specific GAV in my pom so that you don't bother trying to pull it in
for another dep... eg. log4j-over-slf4 would provides log4j

test-compile
test-runtime

some scope that is like compile & runtime but not the test classpath...

Actually the more I think about it what you really want to specify, in
a standardized way is the list of classpaths to add to, and whether it
is transitive on that classpath...

And of course in the non-maven world, classpath does not make sense...
but there are equivalents

<dependency>
  <groupId>...</groupId>
  <artifactId>...</artifactId>