On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:57 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> From Kasun's answers it is quite clear to me that we will need to add
> something to Jira where it asks for the operating system for all the Java
> projects I work on at the ASF. If the O.S. is Gentoo then we will have to
> reject any issues coming from the stuff that comes as part of the O.S. as it
> can't be trusted.

Binary official build also available in Gentoo already.

> On Jul 4, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Stephen Connolly
> > <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> look, what you are trying to do is move an object of infinite mass,
> keeping
> >> the lever length and force applied finite. good luck, it will be fun for
> us
> >> watching from the sidelines... fundamentally maven is about downloading
> >> dependencies on demand from the network rather than building from
> source...
> >> gentoo is about building from source rather than downloading binaries
> from
> >> the network...
> >
> > (as a gentoo user myself...)
> >
> > The bytecode languages don't fit well into the Gentoo model. Even
> > though bytecode is an intermediary source form compiled from source,
> > Gentoo tries to treat it as a platform dependent binary. The Java team
> > then fights a losing battle to cobble together enough accurate builds
> > for the library chain to get anything useful to work. Even then,
> > because the source bytecode doesn't necessarily match the official
> > release, strange issue keep cropping up.
> >
> > After many problems, I've now opted to uninstall the official Maven
> > and Ant packages (and Eclipse...), and use instead a set of scripts
> > which accurately and flexibly allow me to configure exactly the
> > official bytecode I want to use (a little bit like a better eselect).

By official did you meant the upstream packages available as binary like
maven-bin? If that's the case, these -bins are the same as upstream build. I
guess you meant that since there's only the binary maven is available now.
What did you find wrong?

> > It has always struck me as somewhat ironic that if the Gentoo team
> > donned their clue-hats and treated bytecode as the source form then
> > they might quickly have one of the best development environments for
> > the bytecode languages...

I too kind of agree to this since the point being the built jars are
platform independent. If anybody like to know the points for it -
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/why-build-from-source.xml
I'm not going to discuss why building from source is good or bad any further
and is off-topic! ;)

Regards,
--Kasun

--