In maven-shade-plugin, I modified my local copy to point to
maven-plugins version 20 as parent. This in turn points to maven
parent 20. Which configures the compiler plugin for source level 1.5.

Perhaps you mean you pointed to maven-plugins-21.pom, which points to maven-parent-20.pom. And the latter does configure the compiler plugin to use 1.5, but (mysteriously) only for the quality-checks profile.

(All easily discoverable by opening trunk/maven-shade-plugin/pom.xml in NetBeans; an editor hint suggests upgrading the parent when the Central index is loaded, and the Navigator displays either the parent POM chain, or the effective model and its contributions from various ancestors.)