Hi John, Brian

Just to make sure I did understand that correctly:
you propose to use a special URL prefix to tell the maven DefaultProjectBuilder
to treat those urls as static. An example:

<scm>
  <developerConnection>staticscm:git:ssh://myserver:/..</developerConnection

resulting in replacing 'staticscm' with 'scm' and not adding the child modules
to the URL.
Did I get this correctly?

Tried that with mvn-3.0.3 and mvn-2.2.1 and a standard build works just fine.
Of course a release would only work with the newer maven versions!

LieGrue,
strub