I let you see that with Jason but I think he had some motivations he
explained few months ago.
(Yes without modello, plexus, aether, sisu, Apache Maven is an empty shell
but it is like this for years as many of these projects were hosted
previously on codehaus and now are on Github or Eclipse ...)

Arnaud