On Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:17:49 AM Benson Margulies wrote:
> Mark, Can it possibly matter what the java package names are? There
> are ton's of wierd historical package names floating around the
> universe. There is no requirement for incubating Apache projects to
> move package names just for the sake of moving them. I think that
> 'sonatype' in a package name is a herring of perfect redness.

Well, I guess the real question is will they change the package names or not?
If yes, then it MAY be better to wait a few weeks to get the version with the
new package names.

For example, when Jetty moved to eclipse, all the package names changed from
org.mortbay.jetty to org.eclipse.jetty and you and I spent quite a bit of time
updating CXF to use the new package names (amongst the other changes).   If
we're going to move forward with Aether/Sisu, I'd prefer to start off with the
more stable names and such so an update to Aether/Sisu is really just a drop
in update at that time.

Dan

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> > Jason, Brian, Benjamin or any other person involved,
> >
> > Before voting on this issue, I'd like to get an idea what it means for
> > us. So please allow me a few questions:
> >
> > a.) how can appache maven committers anticipate on aether over at
> > Eclipse? What if someone (like me) likes to contribute, but wants to
> > make sure that his contributions are also possible to release
> > separately under ALv2?
> >
> > b.) is it possible to operate aether without sisu? Pure JSR-330 and/or
> > plexus DI stuff is fine. Is there any direct guice depending code in
> > aether?
> >
> > c.) will the package names remain com.sonatype or will they get changed
> > to org.eclipse.*? This is important for us to know. If so, we can just
> > cancel the vote and wait for this stuff to be released at Eclipse.
> >
> > d.) How long will it take to get the first aether release done at
> > Eclipse?
> >
> > If there is a chilly way for maven committers to get involved with that
> > stuff over at Eclipse, then this would be a big pro.
> >
> > txs and LieGrue,
> > strub

Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org