It's been so long I guess people have forgotten RCs used to be made.

The release of "Apache Maven" itself is sufficiently different to just a
plugin that a more formal release does make sense, but on the flip side
after all the arguments trying to get this out I guess people just "want it
out there NOW".

I'd like to see it out sooner than later myself - using the Sonatype "RC"
build you published a few months ago revealed no egregious problems on my
usage - but then that wasn't using the new Wagon...

--
"Great artists are extremely selfish and arrogant things" — Steven Wilson,
Porcupine Tree