Hello everybody,

I understand the need to distinguish between these attempts. I now
have a local copy of 3.0.4 on my disc (as well as on some others).
Next month forgetful as I am, I will not know anymore which of the
different 3.0.4 copies was the blessed one. Let alone that the tag in
subversion will have nothing to do with the real thing.

On the other hand I do not like having things named 3.0.4-RC1..10 and
when RC10 should be the "good" version then we try to rebuild this
perfectly behaving binary once again just with a different name and
break it again possibly while doing this.

Here at work I try to convince my coworkers to always increase version
numbers while tagging a new version, even if the change is "really
small". A name already taken is burnt IMO. What about introducing a
fourth number (3.0.4.N) without any special semantics. Then we all
could test the 3.0.4.2, would be sure we talk about the same thing
(instead of "the first of the attempts to release 3.0.4, you know, the
one version we had to draw back" which is not the same as "the second
attempt to release 3.0.4, you know, the second version we had to draw
back" ... ;-)). and when the vote passed this version 3.0.4.N would be
"released" by communicating this to the user list and modifying the
link on http://maven.apache.org/

Regards Mirko
--
http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.com/