Even if they are not scanned by AV - repo managers may be verifying the
checksums of the downloaded files before sending them on.

/James

-----Original Message-----
From: anders.g.ham...@gmail.com [mailto:anders.g.ham...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Anders Hammar
Sent: 13 December 2011 08:25
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: Re: [CALL FOR TEST] Apache Maven 3.0.4-RC3 staged

I also think that 60s timeout is way too short for corporate users. I suggest
something like at least 180s (500s would be even better). If we go with 60s, I
know for sure that it will fail for most of my corporate customers and Maven
will be the focus of some more bad talks. Please don't do this - it will be bad
for Maven!
Those that want to lower timeout could configure that. A third digit release
should not have a big impact on your environment.

As someone pointed out, in most corporate environments downloads are scanned by
AV engines. And that means that the entire file needs to be downloaded by that
engine and then scanned, before made available to the repo manager. So this
isn't something that the repo manager could fix.

/Anders

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 16:21, Arnaud Héritier <aherit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 to have it set to 5 or 10 minutes by default and with a big warning
> +and
> associated doc in the release note
> Even if I understand Brian about the "why do we fix something not
> reported as broken", I would better consider it as an improvement and not a
> fix.
> Do we have to release a 3.1 just for this improvement .... I'm not sure...
> Do we want to wait for a 3.1 to include it ... I'm less sure ...
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Igor Fedorenko <i...@ifedorenko.com> wrote:
>
>> m2e has read timeout of 60s by default (IDE is different environment,
>> we can't afford blocking build thread forever). There were bugreports
>> about this. Some corporate users reported wait times in tens of
>> minutes due to conservative firewall setup that fully downloads
>> artifacts and does antivirus scan before serving the artifact to the
>> client.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Igor

>>> If any remote repository/server hang, I'm still thinking not wait
>>> infinitely a response from a server is a good idea and will provide
>>> a better user experience. (sure IMHO)
>>>
>>> BTW 60s value is maybe to small.
>>> What would you prefer as value ? 300s ?
>>>
>>> Note this value is the SO_TIMEOUT which is the value before
>>> receiving the first packet or the maximum of inactivity time between 2
>>> packets.

This message is confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you have
received this message in error, please immediately notify the
postmas...@nds.com and delete it from your system as well as any copies. The
content of e-mails as well as traffic data may be monitored by NDS for
employment and security purposes. To protect the environment please do not
print this e-mail unless necessary.

NDS Limited. Registered Office: One London Road, Staines, Middlesex, TW18 4EX,
United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales. Registered no.
3080780. VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00