On 15 March 2012 00:55, Paolo Compieta <paolocompi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Benson Margulies
> <bimargul...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Jesse Glick <jesse.gl...@oracle.com>
>> wrote:

> I can confirm this: we are using snapshot version (but i could also say "no
> snapshot at all") during development; while publishing only non-snapshots.
> In fact, I spent 6 months training up collegues on maven's way of
> development.. and the only thing they couldn't really digest was
> publishing/downloading SNAPSHOT version to share things (and waiting for
> maven to check for the latest SNAPSHOT on the company's repo): they went
> simply SCM-updating and rebuilding (once) all those 5/10/15 upstream
> modules when they needed to be working on the very latest.

What I tend to favour is never publishing -SNAPSHOTs to remote
repositories... on the basis that if it is good enough to be pushed to
a remote repo, it is good enough to release ;-)

I normally check out all the projects I am working on, create a local
"aggregator" pom that just pulls all the different projects into one
build. I then use a prototype extension I have for the versions maven
plugin (*not released yet* as you really need to know its limits) mvn
versions:link-from-reactor from that aggregator pom and that
associates all the dependencies to the version in the reactor. Then
"mvn clean install" and I am good to go with everything using the code
I checked out.

One of these days I will iron out the bugs in
versions:link-from-reactor and release the code for it... but until
then you will just have to dream! ;-)

-Stephen