Why don't you just fix the parsers in older mavens (ie. make a new release of
old-maven-version-x w/fixed parser) that allows for changes in newer versions?

Seems like if you can never add new information to the pom to solve
problems/add features in Maven 3 w/o completely breaking Maven 2, then Maven 3
really can not effectively grow and mature.