+100

I've had a talk about this with Simone this month.
He'd done some investigation already.
I think there are two separate steps to be taken.
1. Generate the plugin.xml based on both annotations and doclets
2. Extend Maven Core to understand Mojo Annotations as well

The first one would already be a huge improvement for all mojo-devs.

-Robert